With the announcement of Windows 11, Microsoft made it easier for general users to access the first release of Windows 11 Insider builds. during a few clicks, you’ll upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 seamlessly. However, that also means all of your junk and temporary files are carried over to Windows 11, which could make the experience cluttered and buggy. So if you would like to get rid of all those leftover files from Windows 10 and release disc space after upgrading to Windows 11, follow our nifty guide.
Free Up disc space After Upgrading to Windows 11 (2021)
Here, we’ve explained three nifty methods to release disc space after upgrading to Windows 11. the primary two methods are similar but accessible via different interfaces, and therefore the last one allows you to remove all the leftover files created by apps. you’ll expand the table below to maneuver to the relevant section.
Table Of Contents
Method 1: pack up Junk Files via Windows Settings
1. First, press the “Win + I” keyboard shortcut on Windows 11 to open the Settings app directly . Here, navigate to “System -> Storage“.
2. Next, click on “Temporary files“.
3. Your Windows 11 computer will take a while to process all the files, and within a moment , it’ll display all the files that you simply can remove to release disc space . Here, we propose unchecking “Downloads” as you would possibly have some valuable files over there.
4. Now, search for “Previous Windows Installation” and “Windows Update Clean-up” and choose them also . These take up most of your disc space , so confirm they’re ticked off before you proceed further.
5. Now, click the “Remove files” button, and that’s it. All the temporary and leftover files from Windows 10 are going to be deleted immediately, and an enormous chunk of storage are going to be released on your Windows 11 PC.
Note: confine mind, these files are safe to get rid of , but after deleting them, you can’t return to Windows 10 seamlessly. to find out more about the way to roll back to Windows 10 from Windows 11, follow our linked tutorial.
The Storage section within the Settings also allows you to delete large files and unused apps with utmost ease. So if you would like to release more room on your Windows 11 PC, we propose you attend Settings -> System -> Storage and uninstall apps you not use. Also, it might be great if you delete massive video files or app installers you not need.
Method 2: Use the Built-in Clean Manager
1. Press the “Windows + R” keyboard shortcut to open the Run window. Here, type in cleanmgr and hit Enter.
2. you’ll now see a pop-up window asking you to pick a drive. Select “C” drive and click on “OK”. The Disk Clean-up utility will start scanning your PC for temporary files eating up disc space after upgrading to Windows 11.
3. Next, click on “Clean up system files” on subsequent window that appears. you’ll get an equivalent pop-up because the above step again. Select the “C” drive and hit Enter.
4. Here, scroll down and appearance for “Previous Windows Installation” and “Windows Update Clean-up” options. confirm they’re selected and click on on “OK”. you’ll also enable the checkbox for other options if you don’t want those files.
5. Finally, all the files you not need are going to be faraway from your Windows 11 PC, and you’ll get some much-needed free disc space . Do note that performing this action also means you can’t return to Windows 10 easily. you’ll need to install Windows 10 from a USB drive manually.
Method 3: Remove Temporary Files in Windows 11
You should be ready to release most of the disc space on your Windows 11 PC after using one among the above methods. But if you would like to get rid of all the temporary files dumped by apps while running Windows 10, follow the steps below:
1. Open the Run window again using the “Win + R” shortcut. Now, type %tmp% and press Enter.
2. Under the “Temp” folder, select everything and delete it immediately. You won’t be ready to delete a number of these files as they could be in use by some active apps, so you’ll leave them out. This step will mostly release the clutter on your Windows 11 PC.
Remove All Temporary Files and pack up disc space on Windows 11
So these are the 3 ways you’ll follow to release disc space after upgrading your PC to Windows 11 from Windows 10. we all know that clean installing Windows 11 from USB is that the best thanks to have a clutter-free and smooth experience. But those users who have upgraded via the Windows Insider Program might carry an enormous block of junk files that are frankly not needed. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you would like to seek out out about the new Focus Sessions feature on Windows 11 or wish to find out the IP address of your Windows 11 PC, head over to our linked tutorials. And if you’ve got any questions or can’t delete junk files, allow us to know within the comment section below.